Friday, December 19, 2008

Shenzhen: The Posterchild of China's Economic Development

Yesterday while riding back to my apartment on the bus after Thursday night basketball with team 老外 (Lao Wai), I saw a new report about China's government meeting to commemorate the 30 year anniversary of the opening up policies of Deng Xiaoping. In these 30 years, China has gone from a tremendously poor country to the world's 3rd highest GDP. It's no doubt been quite a transformation.

In this time of celebration of the opening-up policies, Shenzhen has been on the forefront on the conversation - a figurehead of sorts of China's transformation.

Recently, I have been looking for a new apartment in the downtown area. Here is a view of the Shenzhen skyline from one of the places.



Here's a CNN video discussing change in Shenzhen:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mike,

I lived in Shenzhen from 2005-2007 and I think that your blog is right on the money. Currently, I am working for Foreign Policy Magazine in Washington DC and would like to invite you to check out or site and perhaps use some of our contents in your blog posts. In general, if you'd like to keep in touch or make any comments about our magazine please contact me at Greg.Shtraks@ForeignPolicy.org

Thanks,

- Greg Shtraks